[oe] [RFC] New stable branch (and maybe a new process?)

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Tue Jul 20 19:22:53 UTC 2010

Hello.

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 21:07, Esben Haabendal wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Stefan Schmidt
> <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 18:56, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >> And of course the number of people screaming for a stable branch is an
> >> order of magnitude larger than the number of people that end up actually
> >> supporting it.
> >
> > Sure, that is no surprise. :)
>
> It might be surprising to some, but some of those not actively
> supporting the "stable" branch might choose not to do so because the
> chosen stable process does not fit their needs.
> Most likely, all people contributing to stable is mostly happy with
> how it is handled.

People who add a "me, too" for a new stable branch seem to think that they fit
their needs.

What does not fit your needs with the current stable handling?

I would like to have a more continous flow of changes from dev over some testing
branch to stable. As indicated in my initial mail. That would people working on
this idea and keeping it alive though. Given that no one seemed to be interested
but man seem to be interested to get a new stable/2010 branch the same way we
had for 2009 it seems the most practical way to get one at all, no?

Other models will only work if enough support from the active contributors is
available. Without this even the best idea might die.

regards
Stefan Schmidt