[oe] [RFC] New stable branch (and maybe a new process?)

Esben Haabendal esbenhaabendal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 05:58:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Stefan Schmidt
<stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:

> What does not fit your needs with the current stable handling?

It started out with a rather continous flow of changed from dev,
causing it to be almost as unstable as dev. Now stable/2009 looks
mostly dead.

What I need is a really _STABLE_ branch, but still maintained, on
which it is possible to base products on for customers which do not
want to hear about problems with the chosen upstream build system.
I realize that I am rather alone with my wishes for stable, so I just
rather silently express my wishes here for the record.

> I would like to have a more continous flow of changes from dev over some testing
> branch to stable. As indicated in my initial mail. That would people working on
> this idea and keeping it alive though. Given that no one seemed to be interested
> but man seem to be interested to get a new stable/2010 branch the same way we
> had for 2009 it seems the most practical way to get one at all, no?
>
> Other models will only work if enough support from the active contributors is
> available. Without this even the best idea might die.

Exactly, and this is why I don't really want to push my idea on how a
stable branch should work, as I realize I would likely end up being
rather alone maintaining it, which is how it is today with my customer
OE projects anyways.

/Esben
--
Esben Haabendal, Senior Software Consultant
DoréDevelopment ApS, Ved Stranden 1, 9560 Hadsund, DK-Denmark
Phone: +45 51 92 53 93, E-mail: eha at doredevelopment.dk
WWW: http://www.doredevelopment.dk