[oe] [RFC] New stable branch (and maybe a new process?)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:13:26 UTC 2010

2010/7/21 Esben Haabendal <esbenhaabendal at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Stefan Schmidt
> <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
>
> > What does not fit your needs with the current stable handling?
>
> It started out with a rather continous flow of changed from dev,
> causing it to be almost as unstable as dev. Now stable/2009 looks
> mostly dead.
>
> What I need is a really _STABLE_ branch, but still maintained, on
> which it is possible to base products on for customers which do not
> want to hear about problems with the chosen upstream build system.
> I realize that I am rather alone with my wishes for stable, so I just
> rather silently express my wishes here for the record.

You can create your own. That'll give you all the control.
Alternately you just could decide to freeze whatever version you are using
and only cherry pick some bugfixes.
If you are doing end user products it may be a good plan to do a freeze at
some point anyway, otherwise you're shooting at a moving target.

Frans (who understands your desire)