[oe] OE recipe tree quality

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 08:34:49 UTC 2010

2010/7/30 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>

> On 30-07-10 09:21, Esben Haabendal wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org>
> wrote:

> >> bitbake world seems to be the source of pointless listserv discussions.
> Does
> >> it serve any purpose?
> >
> > Pointless or not really depends on how you look at quality.
> >
> > If you look at it as you, Koen and other OE long-timers, yes, it looks
> > rather pointless to have bitbake world.
> > But for those of us who have a different view on what quality is, then
> > bitbake world serves a purpose.
>
> As Thomas points out, as soon as you start blacklisting things (which
> actually increases quality), bitbake world doesn't work anymore.

Blacklisting does *NOT* increase quality. It just hides the problem and as
such it is ostrich behaviour.

Instead of masking the problem, better fix things. That is what improves
quality!

For me a non building recipe is a sign of poor quality.

BTW: to avoid the blacklisting issue, I've restarted my test with minimal
distro.
Results will probably be available after the weekend.

Frans.