[oe] OE recipe tree quality

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:01:56 UTC 2010

2010/7/30 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>

> On 30-07-10 10:34, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> at

> bitbake/OE
> have

> discussions.
> > Does

> > As Thomas points out, as soon as you start blacklisting things (which
> > actually increases quality), bitbake world doesn't work anymore.
> >

> >> Blacklisting does *NOT* increase quality. It just hides the problem and
> as
> >> such it is ostrich behaviour.
>
> You're saying that making a choice to only support bluez4 and disallow
> linking to random bluez versions does not increase quality? The bluez

It increases the quality of the distro, not the overall quality of OE.

> people are quite clear on this, pick a version and stick with it.

You're hitting the nail on head with this. One of the problems of OE is that
we want to support too many versions at the same time.
dev head should not have two versions of bluez in the first place.
The development process should be that there are stable releases that are
used for production work and an unstable release or dev head that can be
used for further developments.
What is happening now is that people are abusing dev head and aim to use it
as production version which IMHO is bad.
dev head should aim at moving forward. E.g. latest stable could use bluez3
and dev head could then move to bluez4.

So please explain to me why following upstream advice and making things
> deterministic doesn't increase quality?
> You seem to be implying that the bluez developers are a bunch of
> ostriches for keeping the API compatible, no?

No, not at all. I know it is desirable to keep APIs compatible, and I also
know that sometimes there are reasons to break compatibility (and as an
inbetween there is upwards compatibility).
And for the record: I did not make any statement on bluez or its developers.

The problem is entirely at our side, by deciding to maintain multiple
variants of a package in dev head.

BTW and blacklisting is only a side observation on why things fail.
It would still be good to fix the dependency issues (and actually I would
but most of them seem to be in the maemo/openmoko/e17 area, an area where I
have neither expertise in nor hardware to test things).

Frans