[oe] AUTOREV and SRCPV

pieterg pieterg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 2 21:51:37 UTC 2010

I have only a handful of (git) packages for which I need to use AUTOREV, but
when I define

BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV = "1"
BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE = ""

the sideeffect is that hundreds of other packages (which I don't need) are
suddenly having their repositories cloned as well, when their bb files are
parsed. Even though these packages are not using AUTOREV, they have fixed
SRCREV's (either in their bb files, or in my distro).

This is obviously taking a long time, consuming a lot of diskspace,
generating error messages for invalid git urls, and eventually bitbake will
fail because it encountered 'parsing errors' because of those invalid git
urls.

I guess this is because all of these packages are using ${SRCPV} in their
PV, instead of ${SRCREV} (probably in order to find the correct LOCALCOUNT
for the gitrev).

But argueing that people who don't use BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV will not get
these LOCALCOUNT's in their PV anyway, and people that do use
BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV will use SRCREV = ${AUTOREV} for the packages which
they want to be automatically updated, so SRCREV would equal SRCPV,
wouldn't it make sense to just use ${SRCREV} instead of ${SRCPV} in PV?

Rgds, Pieter