[oe] AUTOREV and SRCPV

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:35:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:51:37PM +0200, pieterg wrote:
> I have only a handful of (git) packages for which I need to use AUTOREV, but
> when I define
>
> BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV = "1"
> BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE = ""
>
> the sideeffect is that hundreds of other packages (which I don't need) are
> suddenly having their repositories cloned as well, when their bb files are
> parsed. Even though these packages are not using AUTOREV, they have fixed
> SRCREV's (either in their bb files, or in my distro).
>
> This is obviously taking a long time, consuming a lot of diskspace,
> generating error messages for invalid git urls, and eventually bitbake will
> fail because it encountered 'parsing errors' because of those invalid git
> urls.

If you use bitbake-1.10 it will do it just once for git revision (it
will cache the result of "git list-rev | wc -l" which is used by
BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV.

> I guess this is because all of these packages are using ${SRCPV} in their
> PV, instead of ${SRCREV} (probably in order to find the correct LOCALCOUNT
> for the gitrev).
>
> But argueing that people who don't use BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV will not get
> these LOCALCOUNT's in their PV anyway, and people that do use
> BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV will use SRCREV = ${AUTOREV} for the packages which
> they want to be automatically updated, so SRCREV would equal SRCPV,
> wouldn't it make sense to just use ${SRCREV} instead of ${SRCPV} in PV?

No they won't be the same. They will have the same format
git${LOCALCOUNT}+${HASH} as when AUTOREV+SRCREV is used.

Check "[oe] SRCPV migration - How SRCPV works!" thread for more info
http://www.mail-archive.com/openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org/msg01607.html

in short: why do you insist on BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV? autoincremented
LOCALCOUNT works good in most cases (as long as you keep cache dir), only
case for which we introduced BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE is for multiple builders
sharing feed, but not cache directory.

Regards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr