[oe] AUTOREV and SRCPV

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Jun 3 08:37:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:30 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:13:37AM +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > but I think that's already fixable
> > with strategic use of PREFERRED_VERSION and/or DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.
>
> How? Can you explain in more detail?

If you arrange for the autorev'd recipe to be, say,
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE=1, then I think bitbake will treat it as the desired
version to build even if SRCREV - and hence PV - would sort lower than
some other version (irrespective of whether that other version has
already been built or not).  Then you just need to engineer PKGV to be
suitably monotonic in order to get the right things to happen inside
deploy/ and on the target system.

Obviously you will have a problem if PV is actually identical to some
previously-built version, but the whole idea of using hashes as SCM keys
is predicated on the assumption that this isn't going to happen.

p.