[oe] [SANITY] sanity branch created

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 22:28:48 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Last saturday I created a sanity branch named eFfeM/sanity. Purpose of
this branch is to come to higher quality and more up to date recipes.
Quite ambitious, I know, but as my late mother used to say "ambition
does not hurt". :-)

Obviously this goal is not reached yet :-)
However an initial milestone has been passed.

I have removed some 3000 packages mostly old ones and several native
packages (replacing with BBCLASSEXTEND="native").
The resulting branch (which just pushed) builds. (machine = hawkboard,
distro = minimal package = console-image) and the hawkboard boots from
it (and passes some basic tests).

There are a few issues though.
bitbake console-image complains for some packages that the preferred
version is not available. This is caused by the minimal distro which
tries to pin these, and can be ignored.
Maybe at some point in time I create a distro which truly follows the head.
And some of the edits were fairly massive, touching a lot of files. In
those cases I have not updated PR (sorry about that).
(actually in order to distinguish the files build from the sanity
branch, I am considering moving to a PR = "s0" etc scenario; opinions
on this are appreciated)
And finally when booting you'll notice that some things are missing in
the rfs (e.g /etc/dev.tar). But as I already said: this is still work
in progress!

Anyway, attached is the code. If you want to contribute: feel free to
improve things.
Positive feedback is also very welcome. Please redirect negative
comments to /dev/null. I already have more than enough of those :-)

Attached is the README.sanity file which explains more about this
branch, its purpose and how to contribute.

I hope you like it, and in any case: have fun!

Frans.