[oe] Issue with (gcc-cross-|glibc-)initial and packaged staging

Thomas Horsten thomas.horsten at citrix.com
Tue Mar 9 11:40:47 UTC 2010

I've spotted a rather annoying interim build failure but I'm not sure
how to best tackle the situation.

For example, gcc-cross-initial and gcc-cross install some of the same
files in staging. Normally this doesn't matter, since gcc-cross
overwrites the earlier ones installed by -initial, but when using
packaged staging and many threads (BBTHREADS=10 for example), it
sometimes happens that the pstaging packages for gcc-cross-initial and
gcc-cross get installed into staging in the wrong order (or at the same
time in two different threads), resulting in all builds after that
failing due to undefined references in the lib files from -initial.

Whether this happens or not is a timing dependent issue, so it's
sometimes hard to reproduce.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? I'm thinking that after gcc-cross
(and glibc-cross) have been built there is no need to depend on the
-initial packages any more. Another option would be to install them with
different paths.

Thomas