[oe] Issue with (gcc-cross-|glibc-)initial and packaged staging

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:42:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Thomas Horsten
<thomas.horsten at citrix.com> wrote:
> I've spotted a rather annoying interim build failure but I'm not sure
> how to best tackle the situation.
>
> For example, gcc-cross-initial and gcc-cross install some of the same
> files in staging. Normally this doesn't matter, since gcc-cross
> overwrites the earlier ones installed by -initial, but when using
> packaged staging and many threads (BBTHREADS=10 for example), it
> sometimes happens that the pstaging packages for gcc-cross-initial and
> gcc-cross get installed into staging in the wrong order (or at the same
> time in two different threads), resulting in all builds after that
> failing due to undefined references in the lib files from -initial.

toolchain build happens in a sequence due to catch 22 it has to get
itself bootstrapped.
In a better world when staging is always packaged then gcc-initial
would create packages
which would be obsoleted by gcc-cross.

> Whether this happens or not is a timing dependent issue, so it's
> sometimes hard to reproduce.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this issue? I'm thinking that after gcc-cross
> (and glibc-cross) have been built there is no need to depend on the
> -initial packages any more.

yes but for that you need to have the notion of toolchain is not being
build from scratch and in
other case when you have already bootstrapped it. This state
information needs to be saved somehow
obsoleting package feature in dpkg or bitbake would help in this
regard when it sees that gcc-cross is
already installed it would replace all gcc-cross-initial and
gcc-cross-intermediate references with gcc-cross

 Another option would be to install them with
> different paths.

I think if there