[oe] u-boot ready initrds

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch.de
Tue Mar 9 14:41:17 UTC 2010

Tom Rini wrote:
>> Initrds need to be prepared with mkimage to be usable from u-boot.
>> The following patch introduces an additional IMAGE_FSTYPE .cpio.gz.u-boot
>> for this (at the moment just for hipox machine).
>>
>> Is this the way it should be done?
>>
>> Should this better become part of conf/bitbake.conf?
>
> I don't know why patchwork didn't see this.

That's really crazy. None of my patches occurs in the patch queue.
I started an extra thread for this [1]. It would be really
great if somebody can fix this problem (or tell me what i'm
doing wrong).

> That said, mkimage -A arm is bad.  UBOOT_ARCH is right,

Good point. Total agreement.

> and comes from kernel-arch.bbclass.  So, I
> think a full patch would need to add in changes to image.bbclass to
> inherit kernel-arch so that UBOOT_ARCH will be evaluated.
>
> And yes, this I think should be in bitbake.conf with the rest of the
> image magics

I've too much respect and to little knowledge to make changes
inside these core components.

Can someone take me by the hand and guide me. ;-)

Steffen

PS: And another little question: is '.u-boot' a good extension for
this? Or is the shorter '.u' better?

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/30693