[oe] Downgrading the kernel

Izak Burger isburger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 09:04:52 UTC 2010

Hi All,

First post for me on this list, so I appologise if this is documented elsewhere.

I've been given the task of developing a proof of concept on the
dreambox. My hardware was shipped to me, arrived via courier, I built
the first image from your 1.6 tag (apologies if my terminology is
wrong, I'm more familiar with svn), and the hardware promptly did
something strange which eventually revealed the fact that it is a
clone. I didn't even know clones existed until then.

Without getting into the specifics and the ethics of clones, or the
specifics of how I downgraded to bootloader and unbricked it, my goals
are to work around enough of this so I can get on with the task at
hand, and for this I need to downgrade the kernel from 2.6.18 to
2.6.12, in order for the older binary-only kernel modules to work with
it (the older modules don't check the bootloader).

So far I haven't been able to figure out exactly what needs changing
to select the kernel version, and I'm also unsure what other packages
might be affected. Alternatively, I could also just stick with 1.5,
which seems to have the 2.6.12 kernel from a cursory glance. Any
advice will be much appreciated.

regards,
Izak Burger