[oe] Understanding Bitbake Dependencies

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Fri May 7 22:39:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

When I change a recipe or configuration in OE, I often end up doing a
'bitbake <package-name> -c clean; bitbake <package-name>' to ensure
whatever it is I'm doing it gets rebuilt.  I realize there must be a
better way to do this in some cases---sometimes just a bitbake
<package-name> -c rebuild is sufficient though not always---other
times I can just get away with bitbake <package-name>.

--- What types of changes causes bitbake to rebuild a recipe?
--- Why is '-c clean, then rebuild' different than '-c rebuild'?
--- If I make changes to the kernel (e.g. enable a module), what else
do I need to bitbake to get an updated root file system|image?

Sorry for the simple questions but the dependencies can seem a little
magical at times. If anyone could point me to a reference or give me a
brief explanation of this, that'd be wonderful!

-Ash