[oe] calamari (ppc e500v2) failure

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:47:31 UTC 2010

On (10/05/10 10:40), Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2010/5/9 Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com>:

> >> minimal is eglibc 2.10.  I'll try an Angstrom build.
> >
> > With Angstrom, gcc-cross-initial fails building libgcc, config.log has:
> > cc1: error: not configured for ABI: 'spe'
> > configure:2591: $? = 1
> > configure: failed program was:
> > ... standard empty program ...
> > configure:2605: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot
> > compile
> >
> > Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 host
> >

> I made a mistake when doing the clean build, and kicked it off again.
> I don't think I saw your error.
> In  my local.conf I have:
>
> MACHINE = "calamari"
> DISTRO = "angstrom-2008.1"
> ANGSTROMLIBC = "eglibc"
>
> # e500v2 supports the SPE instruction set.
> TARGET_OS = "linux-gnuspe"
>
> Perhaps the TARGET_OS line influences how libgcc is build.

yes. if you look at the gcc-configure-cross.inc then it disables
optspace for SPE targets. thats why it works for gnuspe but when I
did that I only saw the problem on gnuspe and wanted to keep the
effect minimal. But it seems now we need this ppc wide thats why
the new patch.

Although using -Os in kernel might cause the same problem even if we
sort out libgcc because kernel does not use libgcc and I dont know if
it implements these functions.

If this causes the issue then we have to do same fix for kernel where
we compile kernel with -O2 and not with -Os

Thx
-Khem