[oe] [hawkboard] OE Kernel Not Booting

Christophe Aeschlimann c.aeschlimann at acn-group.ch
Tue May 18 13:36:45 UTC 2010

Le 18.05.2010 13:12, Koen Kooi a écrit :

> On 18-05-10 10:10, Christophe Aeschlimann wrote:

>> Try the OE built u-boot.
>>
>>> Hi Koen,
>>
>>> I haven't been able to boot using the OE generated u-boot so far.
>>
>>> But I'm a bit confused about how everything is working together.
>>
>>> Don't you have to generate an AIS image using AISGen and the OE
>>> generated u-boot image before flashing it in the UBL partition
>>> (beginning of the second erase block) ?
>
> Not that I know of. I flashed uboot using tftp and that seemed to work
> fine. That was on a prototype hawkboard which has released it magic
> smoke since then.

Ok then I assume you had a pre-installed working UBL (User Boot Loader)
in NAND @ Block 1 (0-indexed), that would initialize the board HW (EMIFA
timings, SDRAM refresh cycles, etc) load block 2 in memory (U-Boot)and
executes it. Then you could just overwrite the U-Boot NAND partition
using U-Boot tftp and nand erase / write.e commands.

But AFAIU if you don't have an UBL (E.G. because you don't have a CCS
license to modify/rebuild it) you can workaround it by using the AIS
generator that generate a "self-bootable" image. In this case we want
the OMAP-L138 RBL (ROM Bootloader) to read the AIS image from NAND (@
block 1, where the UBL is normally stored) configure the HW and start
executing U-Boot.

Does this tell you anything ?

Regards,

Christophe