[oe] Moving to layered structure of openembedded metadata

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 23:34:42 UTC 2010

Hi

In recent discussions there seems to be a lot of interest in moving
towards more layered structure in OE where we discussed machine
layers and arch based layers. There certainly are advantages to this
approach as discussed in other threads on mailing list
I think poky has already achieved that to a certain extent and has
made metadata changes
needed for such a structure. There are other polishing to metadata
which is beneficial in general like recipe licenses, gcc runtime
demystification etc. I would like to suggest that we adopt this
structure and use Poky as core layer which we
should always maintain in coherence and add the extra
machines,architectures and recipes as additional layers around
the base layer.

This will also help us to scale the project and
reduce the to and fro in merges as well as communities at large will
benefit by seamless flow
of patches and other contributions.

This will of course need a lot of work and I wanted to bring to
everyone to know if this would be a good approach moving
forward.

Thanks

-Khem