[oe] Moving to layered structure of openembedded metadata

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Fri Nov 5 01:00:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 04:34:42PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi
>
> In recent discussions there seems to be a lot of interest in moving
> towards more layered structure in OE where we discussed machine
> layers and arch based layers. There certainly are advantages to this
> approach as discussed in other threads on mailing list
> I think poky has already achieved that to a certain extent and has
> made metadata changes
> needed for such a structure. There are other polishing to metadata
> which is beneficial in general like recipe licenses, gcc runtime
> demystification etc. I would like to suggest that we adopt this
> structure and use Poky as core layer which we
> should always maintain in coherence and add the extra
> machines,architectures and recipes as additional layers around
> the base layer.
>
> This will also help us to scale the project and
> reduce the to and fro in merges as well as communities at large will
> benefit by seamless flow
> of patches and other contributions.
>
> This will of course need a lot of work and I wanted to bring to
> everyone to know if this would be a good approach moving
> forward.

Khem,

That is already being discussed and decided. See the following previous topics
on the mailing list...

The raw OEDEM meeting notes, where if you read carefully (and between the
lines :) you can see the suggestion of using Poky as a new core being
discussed:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/39108

Call for open discussion and future plans for advancing OpenEmbedded and
Yocto Project:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/39114

--
Denys