[oe] commit messages (was: testing branch 2010-10-08)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 10 19:50:57 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 10.10.2010, 12:29 -0700 schrieb Khem Raj:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Paul Menzel wrote:

> >> I fixed it by not reautoconfing for now I think it should be
> >> good enough.
> >
> > Thank you for doing that. This is commit 88cb82 [2].
> >
> >        libgee_0.5.2.bb/libgee_0.6.0.bb: Fix native recipe build
> >
> > Could you please at least add a link to the list thread describing the
> > problem to the commit message next time, so people know what is being
> > fixed.
>
> while the details are in the mail and I notified the mail thread soon after
> the fix was pushed isnt that enough of a notice for a trivial problem.

I was more looking from the perspective of people going through the
commit history and not the people reading the list.

I came across several cases where the commit message says to fix a
build, but there was no indication what the error was in the first
place. It is even more important when going through the changes after
time.

So I would be grateful if everyone could adhere to the commit policy [1]
as documentation is in my opinion one of the most important things when
more people are involved.

I would even require that everyone has to build test a change at least
once in a clean environment and document what distribution and what
machine it was built for.

[…]

[1] http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Commit_Policy