[oe] Building for multiple machines

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:23:41 UTC 2010

2010/10/11 Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at mac.com>:

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess trying this would ahve been much faster than waiting for an answer here.
>>>
>>> And OE does not have an auto.conf
>>
>> OE *does* have an auto.conf, pretty much since the start:
>
> There was a reason why I didn't try it right away. A while back, i had a working overo-oe, and auto.conf was set to MACHINE="overo"
>
> After that, I changed it to MACHINE="beagleboard".
>
> It created two output folders in tmp/deply for both the targets, but the images didn't work properly, I had some issues. Can't recall exactly what it was. So, I had to delete my tmp folder, and repeat the build process afresh, this time, with only MACHINE='beagleboard".
>
> I was wondering what the recommended process is for building for multiple machine architectures?
>
> Elvis Dowson

I've build multiple machines in one tmp but often they are for
different architectures (e.g. hawkboard and beagleboard (whcih is
armv5 and armv7a resp)
If you are going to mix distro's things might become more troublesome
(and machine specific pinnings (with DEFAULT_PREFERENCE) might also
cause mismatches).

Of course you can also change your TMPDIR (and set it e.g. to
tmp_${DISTRO}_${MACHINE})
That way you'll get different tmp dirs (probably you want to inherit
rm_work to keep the space usage manageable).

Have fun! Frans

Frans