[oe] S98configure role

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Oct 14 14:01:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:32 AM, l.bolognini at tiscali.it <
l.bolognini at tiscali.it> wrote:

> I'm wondering what is the role of this script, placed in /etc/rcS.d.
>
> What I guess is that, for some reasons, some packages get installed but
> not configured (then unpacked) since their postinstall script returns
> non zero value.

Yes, this is correct.  Some postinsts do things which can be done at image
creation time on the build machine, but not all.  Those which must *run* the
binaries in the filesystem, for example, cannot be run at build time, so
must be run at first boot time on the target.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com