[oe] Question about OVERRIDES precedence

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Thu Oct 14 15:29:20 UTC 2010

Chris,

So are you saying that we are just going to change the order of how OVERRIDES is appended to in OE like Denys was suggesting?  That would still lead to issues like local not being the highest priority unless we would also change bitbake.conf to define OVERRIDES as "${TARGET_ARCH}:${TARGET_OS}:${MACHINE}:local".  That way we could prepend OVERRIDES in OE and still have local be the last one evaluated.

Or are you saying that we should build the whole OVERRIDES list and then reverse it in the OE configuration files?

If that is the case I tried adding a line like:

REVERSE_OVERRIDES=${@d.setVar("OVERRIDES", ':'.join(bb.data.getVar('OVERRIDES', d, 1).split(':')[::-1]))}

to the end of my local.conf file.  When I do a bitbake -e to dump my environment I see that OVERRIDES is now defined to:

OVERRIDES="thumb-interwork:libc-glibc:omap3:armv7a:pn-task-arago-toolchain-tisdk-multimedia-host:fail-fast:build-linux:arm:linux-gnueabi:angstrom:am37x-evm:local"

But while that order looks right it seems like maybe that is being interpreted to late because my variables that use overrides are not picking up the right values.  i.e. my MACHINE override is not taking precedence over my SOC_FAMILY override.

Any ideas why this does not work?