[oe] sed dependency

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:53:18 UTC 2010

2010/10/24 Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com>:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks <
> fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Triggered by this: http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/3099/
>> I was wondering whether we should have sed-native as always-required ?
>>
>> If not lots of recipes might require an update like the one above:
>>
>> frans at linux-suse:~/oe/openembedded/recipes> grep sed -l */* -w | wc
>>    776     776   20661
>> frans at linux-suse:~/oe/openembedded/recipes> grep sed-native */* | wc
>>      9      61     737
>>
>> Guess despite the -w there will be some false hits in the first grep
>> (because it is in postinst or in a comment), but I expect some 700+
>> recipes remaining.
>>
>> (actually thinking about it we could also do a scan on all added code
>> to see if there is a dep on e.g. sed or grep, but guess due to the
>> overhead then it is better to generically depend on sed-native).
>>
>> Guess something similar holds for grep (gave 128 matches) and probably
>> some other tools).
>>

> If something is covered by posix / SuSv3, I see no need to use a -native.
>  We have to expect a certain amount of sanity in our build environment.  For
> specific non-portable usages, those should certainly be fixed to not use
> that functionality, to use some form of sanitizing wrapper, or to depend on
> the gnu tool specifically via -native, imo.
> --
Seems like a good plan to me. Guess then we should reject Andreas's patch.

for the record: this are the recipes that DEPEND on sed-native

libgc/libgc_6.5.bb:DEPENDS		= "sed-native"
libgc/libgc_6.7.bb:DEPENDS		= "sed-native"
meta/canadian-sdk.bb:DEPENDS = "opkg-native ipkg-utils-native
fakeroot-native sed-native zip-native"
meta/meta-toolchain.bb:DEPENDS = "opkg-native ipkg-utils-native
fakeroot-native sed-native"
opensync/libsyncml_0.4.0.bb:DEPENDS = "sed-native wbxml2 libsoup
libxml2 bluez-libs openobex"
opensync/libsyncml_0.4.6.bb:DEPENDS = "sed-native wbxml2 libsoup
libxml2 bluez-libs openobex"
opensync/libsyncml_svn.bb:DEPENDS = "sed-native wbxml2 libsoup libxml2
bluez-libs openobex"
rpm/rpm_4.4.2.3.bb:DEPENDS = "zlib beecrypt file popt python sed-native"

No idea if they really should depend on it.

Frans