[oe] sed dependency

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Sun Oct 24 18:10:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks <
fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Triggered by this: http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/3099/
> I was wondering whether we should have sed-native as always-required ?
>
> If not lots of recipes might require an update like the one above:
>
> frans at linux-suse:~/oe/openembedded/recipes> grep sed -l */* -w | wc
>    776     776   20661
> frans at linux-suse:~/oe/openembedded/recipes> grep sed-native */* | wc
>      9      61     737
>
> Guess despite the -w there will be some false hits in the first grep
> (because it is in postinst or in a comment), but I expect some 700+
> recipes remaining.
>
> (actually thinking about it we could also do a scan on all added code
> to see if there is a dep on e.g. sed or grep, but guess due to the
> overhead then it is better to generically depend on sed-native).
>
> Guess something similar holds for grep (gave 128 matches) and probably
> some other tools).

If something is covered by posix / SuSv3, I see no need to use a -native.
 We have to expect a certain amount of sanity in our build environment.  For
specific non-portable usages, those should certainly be fixed to not use
that functionality, to use some form of sanitizing wrapper, or to depend on
the gnu tool specifically via -native, imo.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com