[oe] Revert + apologies (was: Re: [oe-commits] Frans Meulenbroeks : lsof/lsof_4.83.bb: removed unneeded EXTRA_OEMAKE)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:28:40 UTC 2010

2010/10/25 Andrea Adami <andrea.adami at gmail.com>:
> Frans,
>
> nerverthless some recipes of the group *did* build flawlessy after
> removing the EXTRA_OEMAKE.
>
> ifupdown/ifupdown_0.6.10.bb
> ifupdown/ifupdown-ubuntu_0.6.8.bb
> man-pages/man-pages_3.21.bb
>
> I tested only a few...probably others too.
>
> It looks to me this was a quick hack to make broken recipes build...
>
> Anyway, thank again for your work. Keep on!
>
> Andrea

Andrea, all, I know some build flawless as I tested one which did, but
I had no easy and quick way to identify which ones did.

I did a quick peek at it (building tinylogin):
bitbaek -e only reveals one line with EXTRA_OEMAKE in it (with the
original recipe, so without my mod)
# EXTRA_OEMAKE=
after changing it I do get a different line for EXTRA_OEMAKE, so guess
something went wrong with the diff
No idea what, but will sort that out.

Also my assumption that EXTRA_OEMAKE was empty apparently is flawed.
Did a quick grep in classes and conf:

classes/qmake_base.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE = ' MAKEFLAGS= '
classes/dietlibc.bbclass:    cfg = bb.data.getVar('EXTRA_OEMAKE', d, 1) or ""
classes/dietlibc.bbclass:    cfg = oe_filter_out("\'CC=",
bb.data.getVar('EXTRA_OEMAKE', d, 1) or "", d)
classes/dietlibc.bbclass:    bb.data.setVar('EXTRA_OEMAKE', cfgtmp, d)
classes/kernel.bbclass:# For the kernel, we don't want the '-e
MAKEFLAGS=' in EXTRA_OEMAKE.
classes/kernel.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE = ""
classes/cmake.bbclass:# If declaring this, make sure you also set
EXTRA_OEMAKE to
classes/distutils-common-base.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE = ""
classes/base.bbclass:	oenote ${MAKE} ${EXTRA_OEMAKE} "$@"
classes/base.bbclass:	${MAKE} ${EXTRA_OEMAKE} "$@" || die "oe_runmake failed"
classes/autotools.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE = ""
classes/recipe_sanity.bbclass:              "SECTION", "PACKAGES",
"EXTRA_OECONF", "EXTRA_OEMAKE"]:
classes/ccdv.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE_append = " ${@quiet_libtool(bb,d)}"
classes/devshell.bbclass:EXTRA_OEMAKE[export] = "1"
conf/bitbake.conf:EXTRA_OEMAKE = "-e MAKEFLAGS="
conf/bitbake.conf:EXTRA_OEMAKE_prepend_task_do_compile = "${PARALLEL_MAKE} "
conf/bitbake.conf:EXTRA_OEMAKE_prepend_task-compile = "${PARALLEL_MAKE} "

With tinylogin and the line removed I get:
EXTRA_OEMAKE="-e MAKEFLAGS="

It was my assumption that the EXTRA_OEMAKE var was empty and just
could be used in assigns, but it shows it is not. Not sure if that is
a good thing though.
The docs do not really mention that you should not assign, but append
but also not otherwise.
I'm in favour of giving the system part of it a separate name, and
keep EXTRA_OEMAKE strictly for recipe settings.

Frans