[oe] OE donations

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:29:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/3 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com>:
>

>> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>>
>> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k
>
> Maybe before we spent 1k on disks:
>
> How much diskspace do we have now?
> How much of it is used?
> And what stored is on it?
> And why is this massive amount of storage (4.5 TB assuming they are in
> RAID5) needed?
>
> I feel 1k is a big amount for a small e.V. like ours, and before
> deciding on the spending of it we should probably first discuss the
> issue and evaluate other options.
> E.g. maybe we can find a sponsor to donate some space and bandwidth on
> their server.

We share hardware and hosting costs with a number of other projects like:

foonas.org
nslu2-linux.org
openwiz.org
preware.org
webos-internals.org

Historically, we have funded very little of the server costs at the
OSUOSL site.  I personally purchased a CPU for them at one point, and
I'm not sure much else has come from the OE project.  So from a
project standpoint, we are likely behind when it comes to paying for
our share of the hardware costs.

The 4.5TB will likely be shared with all the above projects.  The
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Infrastructure page lists some
of the resources allocated specifically to the OE project.  Other
resources (such as a dedicated database server, and backups) are not
so apparent.

So in summary, we should fund at least a portion of the above storage
costs.  Personally, I'm satisfied with how things are OSUOSL are run
-- Tom King and others spend a lot of volunteer time keeping things
running.

Thanks,
Cliff