[oe] OE donations

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 06:19:47 UTC 2010

2010/9/7 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
> <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/9/3 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Our immediate financial need is to upgrade storage on our server hardware:
>>>
>>> 4 new 1.5TB drives. Approx $1k
>>
>> Maybe before we spent 1k on disks:
>>
>> How much diskspace do we have now?
>> How much of it is used?
>> And what stored is on it?
>> And why is this massive amount of storage (4.5 TB assuming they are in
>> RAID5) needed?
>>
>> I feel 1k is a big amount for a small e.V. like ours, and before
>> deciding on the spending of it we should probably first discuss the
>> issue and evaluate other options.
>> E.g. maybe we can find a sponsor to donate some space and bandwidth on
>> their server.
>
> We share hardware and hosting costs with a number of other projects like:
>
> foonas.org
> nslu2-linux.org
> openwiz.org
> preware.org
> webos-internals.org
>
> Historically, we have funded very little of the server costs at the
> OSUOSL site.  I personally purchased a CPU for them at one point, and
> I'm not sure much else has come from the OE project.  So from a
> project standpoint, we are likely behind when it comes to paying for
> our share of the hardware costs.
>
> The 4.5TB will likely be shared with all the above projects.  The
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Infrastructure page lists some
> of the resources allocated specifically to the OE project.  Other
> resources (such as a dedicated database server, and backups) are not
> so apparent.
>
> So in summary, we should fund at least a portion of the above storage
> costs.  Personally, I'm satisfied with how things are OSUOSL are run
> -- Tom King and others spend a lot of volunteer time keeping things
> running.
>
> Thanks,
> Cliff

Cliff, all,

Please note that I am not against paying our part of the resources.
The 4.5 TB request to me came as kind-of  a surprise as I don't see us
using up that amount of resources (as we currently have 50 GB).
But ofc as we also use CPU cycles, space, etc etc, so I see no problem
with us donating some storage hardware as we also use resources
donated by others.

Wrt OSUOSL: I see the people are doing a good job, and I really appreciate it.

Best regards, Frans