[oe] recipe simplification questions

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Wed Sep 8 18:40:20 UTC 2010

Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
> <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> While browsing through a recipe I stumbled upon the following two functions:
[snip]
>> do_install() {
>>        make install DESTDIR=${D}
>> }
>>

> this if used in a recipe which inherits autotools could be for getting
> parallelism out of context during install but not during compile.
> again this kind of stuff should be avoided.

Not true (but I had to double check just now, so it's quite possible
some others have assumed this behavior).  If we look at bitbake.conf:
EXTRA_OEMAKE_prepend_task_do_compile = "${PARALLEL_MAKE} "
EXTRA_OEMAKE_prepend_task-compile = "${PARALLEL_MAKE} "

So in the case of literally having DESTDIR=${D}, these can just go away.
  There are some annoying cases however where it's not DESTDIR but some
other variable.  IMHO, it's questionable if it'd be cleaner to do a
custom one line do_install vs EXTRA_OEMAKE_append_task-do_install =
"PREFIX=${D}"

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation