[oe] patch to fix libstdc++ problem, was Re: Images no longer automatically include libstdc++6

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 13:23:35 UTC 2010

2010/9/12 Philip Balister <philip at balister.org>:
> On 09/12/2010 08:49 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>>
>> 2010/9/12 Philip Balister<philip at balister.org>:
>>
>>> If the DISTRO is not maintained, maybe it should be cleaned up and left
>>> around to confuse people who think it should work well.
>>>

>> Philip,
>>
>> I hope you wanted to say "...cleaned up and NOT left around..."
>> Otherwise it does not really make sense to me.
>
> I did. I am not functioning on a full load of coffee.
>
> Seriously, some people may be attached to those distro's. However, if they
> are not using OISTRO_PR to force rebuilds may be due to their use case being
> different from say Angstrom. DISTRO_PR is useful for people maintained feeds
> for end users. Some of the DISTRO's without it, may just build images from
> clean builds as needed, so they don't really need it, and won't need the PR
> bump being discussed.

I can understand that people are attached to some distros. I still
have a weak spot for slugos as that brought me to oe several years ago
(and the NSLU2 was a lot of fun!)

On the PR bump: even if you have a distro without DISTRO_PR, one may
locally still do a pull and do a partial rebuild (at least I do not do
a full rebuild every day)., so a PR bump would help.
Of course this fixes a fairly big problem, so it might be speeded up,
but in general I would say that a change which breaks a lot of things
(and requiring a full rebuild) should be announced clearly and timely
so people can be aware of it.
Thinking of it, we might also create/have/want something like OE_PR
which can be bumped if there are changes that require a complete
rebuild. This could be bumped for important, incompatible changes in
the toolchain or in key recipes.

Frans.