[oe] How to specify a specific linux kernel recipe or provider

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:10:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>       I'm using the overo-oe repo, and when I build omap3-console-image, it builds the linux-omap3-2.6.32.bb recipe, located in my user.collection folder.
>
> Now suppose I want to experiment with a new kernel recipe, and create a new one called linux-android-rowboat-eclair-2.6.32.bb.
>
> What should I do to make the omap3-console-image recipe build using the linux-android-rowboat-eclair-2.6.32.bb recipe, instead of the linux-omap3-2.6.32.bb?

No idea about the specifics of overo-oe-repo but in general kernel
'provider'  is chosen by

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-xyz"

while the version can be pinned in some machine.conf  like

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-xyz = "2.6.28.4"

If not pinned, bitbake will evaluate the DEFAULT_PREFERENCE in the
linux-xyz recipes.

Regards

Andrea