[oe] Minimum python version - 2.4 or 2.5?

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Mon Sep 27 15:10:52 UTC 2010

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Martyn Welch wrote:
>
>> Unless something has changed in he last few months, I think we wanted to
>> support 2.4 for a little while longer:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org/msg06143.html
>
> Hmm, so RHEL5 is still using Python 2.4.
>
> SLES10 is in the same situation, but installing Python from source worked
> seamlessly for me. Maybe we could require RHEL5 users to upgrade Python.
> Bitbake 1.10 also requires Python 2.5 and runs about 30% faster than 1.8,
> so there's good reason for RHEL5 users to want to switch.

Here's my once again whine for not adding deps for things that RHEL
users can't get via the official channels.  Yes, they can install things
from source and that's not nice.

Now, if you want to talk about making bitbake 1.10.0 the minimum for OE,
that's another story.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation