[oe] `PR = "r0"`: Add or not to add?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:45:11 UTC 2011

2011/8/31 Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net>

> Op 31-08-11 12:06, Paul Menzel schreef:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 31.08.2011, 09:15 +0200 schrieb Koen Kooi:
> >> Op 31-08-11 01:06, Andreas Müller schreef:
>
> [...]

> >> please remove PR in new recipes
> >
> > Actually I would favor to leave them in.
>
> Well I don't, and atm I decide if it goes in or not.

Ah. God is back. (btw who decided you are the decision maker for these
things?).

Somehow  I had the impression that the number of active contributors in OE
was diminishing; Guess I now understand why.
Statements like this are probably not the best way to run a community
project and/or keep people motivated.

> > The manual also advises to do this.
>
> The manual says a lot of things and was written for .dev, not OE-core or
> meta-oe.

Then make sure that people know how do do things (e.g. by updating the
manual for OE_core and/or meta-oe)

> > To change that policy, I would favor a survey/poll so that not every
> developers says something different as s/he sees best fit.
>
> Be sure to include every other variable with a default in that poll in
> order to be consistent.
>
> There is quite a difference between this variable and most others.
If one changes a recipe a PR change is in virtually all cases mandatory.
Having a line
PR = "r0"
in the recipe increases the chance that updating PR is not forgotten.
(and most, if not all, other variables with a default value will not change
when a recipe is updated).

My two cents.
Do with it whatever you want to.

Frans.