[oe] `PR = "r0"`: Add or not to add?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Wed Aug 31 13:00:51 UTC 2011

Op 31-08-11 14:43, Anders Darander schreef:
> * Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> [110831 14:36]:

>>> Surely you'd rather people have a better chance of getting it right
>>> the first time rather than you having to remind them for every patch?
>>> The almost insignificant burden of a PR = "r0" in each recipe seems
>>> worthwhile to me if it even helps a single person remember.
>
>> I've found that in .dev having PR = r0 in recipes is a bigger burden
>> than not having them, especially when using shared .inc files like
>> xorg. And there have been enough patches where people don't get PR
>> bumps right even if there's a PR already in the recipe. So I'm
>> unconvinced that it makes a real difference in "getting it right".
>
>> Even in the extreme case that every packaging patch is missing a PR
>> bump that, for me,  is less annoying than issues I faced in .dev with
>> PR = r0 sprinkled throughout the metadata.
>
> Just curious (and it might convince me and others) what issues have PR =
> "r0" caused in .dev?

The most recent one in .dev was xorg .inc files. Some recipes had PR, some
didn't, and some had INC_PR. In this specific case there should have been
only one PR (or INC_PR) in the .inc.

And of course the good old "add PR=r0 to the .inc, making older recipes go
backwards" thing.

In OE-core/meta-oe the most recent annoyance were the gcc recipes, which now
finally have a centrally managed PR.

No situation is perfect, but my *personal* experience is that not adding
PR=r0 is *less* annoying than adding it.

The big difference between classic OE and the OE-core way is that things are
a lot cleaner to start with, so PR=r0 might be safer to use, but I'd like to
err on the side of caution.

If you all feel really strongly about PR=r0 I'd advice you to send patches
to add it to recipes that need it in OE-core and after those get accepted
send patches for the recipes in meta-oe.

regards,

Koen