[oe] fso-console-image problems

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:52:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 02:08:07PM +0000, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> > What are you using?
> > SHR-core or openembedded classic?
> >
> Don't know if I am honest - there is a (very good) wiki page I have been
> following to build this ->
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Getting_started. I presume it is
> openembedded classic since I downloaded all the stuff from that page
> (git://github.com/openembedded/openembedded.git is the repository used).

So yes this is OE-classic.

For building SHR you should follow SHR instructions:
http://wiki.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Building%20SHR

Where are instructions for building from OE-classic as well as new
layers, but with htcdream there is problem in oe-core, see this thread:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2011-October/010993.html

> As I indicated earlier, I successfully built the shr-image (GUI-based) -
> it boots up OK on my smartphone, but I have no luck whatsoever with the
> console (i.e. just cli) images - I tried two: "console-image" and
> "fso-console-image", both unsuccessful (they do build, but my smartphone
> is having problems booting up properly with these).

I'm not familiar with htcdream, but this looks like some problem with kernel fb
driver, you can try to boot shr-image, setup ssh access and then
shutdown xserver (with /etc/init.d/xserver-nodm stop) to see if you get
console login (check inittab if it's starting getty there) and also try
other vts with chvt.

If it works you can prepare console-image with right
/etc/network/interfaces to be able to ssh in as soon as it boots and
then debug those stripes over ssh too.

Well if you can get serial console to htcdream then it would be even
easier.

> > If you are using shr-core you need to fix that file:
> > openembedded-core/meta/conf/machine/include/arm/arch-armv6.inc
> > to include support for armv6-novfp and add a tune file for the CPU of the
> > htcdream and then require that cpu tune file in the htcdream machine recipe.
> >
> I don't know whether I would need this. I also discovered yesterday that
> there is another openembedded git repository on freesmartphone.org
> (git://git.freesmartphone.org/openembedded.git), but not sure whether
> this is the same as the one I have been using...

This is usually used only by FSO people without R/W access to OE git to
prepare some changes.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com