[oe] fso-console-image problems

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:46:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 03:12:44PM +0000, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> > So yes this is OE-classic.
> >
> > For building SHR you should follow SHR instructions:
> > http://wiki.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Building%20SHR
> >
> I see. Truth be told, this was the first thing I tried to do, but later
> on decided to use openembedded as my ultimate aim is to have a cli image
> (with less stuff on it as I don't want/need the gui). I think the
> "shr-image" target I build is similar, if not the same, as the building
> of the SHR - a link to which you provided above.

yes probably similar but at least you would read about diff between
OE-classic and oe-core setup.. but fine

> > Where are instructions for building from OE-classic as well as new
> > layers, but with htcdream there is problem in oe-core, see this thread:
> > http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2011-October/010993.html
> >
> Interesting, but thankfully that doesn't apply to me, right?

No if you decide to stuck with old OE-classic.. but would be great to
get htcdream well supported with oe-core..

> > I'm not familiar with htcdream, but this looks like some problem with kernel fb
> > driver, you can try to boot shr-image, setup ssh access and then
> > shutdown xserver (with /etc/init.d/xserver-nodm stop) to see if you get
> > console login (check inittab if it's starting getty there) and also try
> > other vts with chvt.
> >
> The phone, as far as I know, is not connected anywhere - I don't have a
> working wifi/gsm etc - fastboot uses the usb link to transfer (and boot)
> the image. Is it possible to, somehow, use usb to connect to the phone
> this way (if so, how)? As you probably have gathered by now, I am a n00b
> when it comes to this smartphone/embedded devices business, so would
> need a bit of help with it. What is "vts" and "chvt"?

Well I was expecting that setting usbnet (g_ether kernel module) is easy
on htcdream as it's easy on other devices and that you can load it on
boot and check that usb0 is set to auto.

vt - virtual terminal
chvt - change foreground virtual terminal

as sometimes Xserver is started on different vt then where getty is
enabled, but depends on config and I'm not familiar with htcdream ..

> I was thinking (that was plan B) to specify runlevel 3, not 5, thus
> forcing a console log in (provided there is one!) - don't know if this
> works on smartphones though! I already discovered that "nomodeset" isn't
> working, sadly!

you need to have getty enabled in inittab ie:
t1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

> > If it works you can prepare console-image with right
> > /etc/network/interfaces to be able to ssh in as soon as it boots and
> > then debug those stripes over ssh too.
> >
> This is what I can't figure out - how can I get connectivity on this
> phone if none of my wifi/gms is up and running?

usbnet is usually easiest

> > Well if you can get serial console to htcdream then it would be even
> > easier.
> >
> That is way over my head I am afraid!
>
> >> I don't know whether I would need this. I also discovered yesterday that
> >> there is another openembedded git repository on freesmartphone.org
> >> (git://git.freesmartphone.org/openembedded.git), but not sure whether
> >> this is the same as the one I have been using...
> >>

> > This is usually used only by FSO people without R/W access to OE git to
> > prepare some changes.
> >
> So, I shouldn't use it then?

yes, don't use it

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com