[oe] fso-console-image problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:20:53 UTC 2011

Thanks again, JaMa,

>> Interesting, but thankfully that doesn't apply to me, right?
>>

> No if you decide to stuck with old OE-classic.. but would be great to
> get htcdream well supported with oe-core..

Once I get my phone up and running I'll give it a go - I've been
following the discussion about oe-classic/oe-core with interest, so I am
willing to help out if I can.

>> The phone, as far as I know, is not connected anywhere - I don't have a
>> working wifi/gsm etc - fastboot uses the usb link to transfer (and boot)
>> the image. Is it possible to, somehow, use usb to connect to the phone
>> this way (if so, how)? As you probably have gathered by now, I am a n00b
>> when it comes to this smartphone/embedded devices business, so would
>> need a bit of help with it. What is "vts" and "chvt"?
>>

> Well I was expecting that setting usbnet (g_ether kernel module) is easy
> on htcdream as it's easy on other devices and that you can load it on
> boot and check that usb0 is set to auto.

Ah, right, in other words connecting the device (my phone) via usb *is*
possible, right? If so, I presume this "usb0" interface acts in a
similar fashion as my "eth0" for example (ifconfig, route etc can be
applied to it), right? Quite a revelation to me this! How do I get it
connected on the "host" side (on my PC on which the usb is used) - do I
see a similar adapter on it as well? How does that work then?

> vt - virtual terminal
> chvt - change foreground virtual terminal
>
> as sometimes Xserver is started on different vt then where getty is
> enabled, but depends on config and I'm not familiar with htcdream ..

Noted, thanks!

>> I was thinking (that was plan B) to specify runlevel 3, not 5, thus
>> forcing a console log in (provided there is one!) - don't know if this
>> works on smartphones though! I already discovered that "nomodeset" isn't
>> working, sadly!
>>

> you need to have getty enabled in inittab ie:
> t1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

I'll check that at first opportunity - is it possible that *might* be
the reason I am not getting anywhere with my console-image rootfs? I
haven't checked the inittab there ... will do that when I get home tonight!

>> This is what I can't figure out - how can I get connectivity on this
>> phone if none of my wifi/gms is up and running?
>>

> usbnet is usually easiest

So, I presume this usbnet is a point-to-point adapted, is it? Do I have
to set up special routing (i.e. with route add etc) for it? Do I have to
give it an ip address from the net I am on my host PC or is this different?