[oe] OE TSC

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Feb 1 19:02:36 UTC 2011

On 2/1/11 10:52 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 15:51 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> On 31-01-11 15:10, Richard Purdie wrote:
>>
>>> There are various issues needing attention ASAP and therefore the TSC
>>> would like to propose that we call for candidates and that the board
>>> then empower an interim TSC based on the result of that call without
>>> waiting for a vote.
>>
>> Since I'll be travelling the rest of the week and will likely be offline
>> when the actual call comes from the board:
>>
>> I would like to stand as candidate for that interim TSC.
>>
>> Earlier Khem and Tom Rini expressed interest in standing as candidate as
>> well, but I can't say if that is still the case. Please speak up if it is :)
>>
>> It would be nice to have someone with an interest in the releases as
>> well, e.g. Stefan Schmidt.
>
> So just for completeness I've also wondered whether anyone from the
> Yocto world would be welcome on the TSC, in particular I think Mark
> Hatle might have a lot to offer.
>
> I appreciate he isn't know much in the OE world but he has a strong
> background in embedded Linux (works for Wind River) and is a strong
> participant in the Yocto community. Some OE people met him in Cambridge
> since he was at OEDEM.

As Richard mentioned, I'm likely not well known within the OE community.
However, I am willing to serve on the TSC and bring my experience in embedded
Linux with me.  I've worked with both Khem and Tom both in an Open Source
capacity as well as professionally in the past.

As a quick bio, let me share my background.

Back in around 1997 I started working on MkLinux (Mach Microkernel based Linux)
on the old Power Macs.  I was one of the first people (maybe the first?) to
integrate a full 'modern' Linux distribution on a PowerPC based machine.  This
eventually lead to MkLinux, LinuxPPC and even early Yellow Dog Linux releases..

Since 2000 I've been working on embedded Linux projects.  In 2000 I was hired as
an engineer with MontaVista Software.  My responsibilities covered everything
from build systems, to toolchains, to userspace integration...

In 2005 I moved to my present employer, Wind River, and repeated many of my
previous assignments.. build systems, toolchains, package management and
userspace integration.

Since 2008, I've been involved with the GENIVI automotive organization.  I
helped in the early days determine open source strategies, as well as was the
chair for the System Infrastructure working group.

Since 2010, I've been involved with the Yocto project since the beginning.  This
was my first experience with an OE style build environment, but the general
every day work, toolchains, userspace integration, package management are all
the same problems as I've encountered numerous times in the past.

I hope this gives a quick background of my qualifications.  If anyone has any
questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
--Mark