[oe] Ada(GNAT) support in OE

Andrey Smirnov andrew.smirnov at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:16:30 UTC 2011

Hi, everyone!

Bitbake-1.10.2 and OE from git here and I am trying to add some
rudimentary support of Ada language(GNAT) to OE(for now it is just
building a cross compiler)

As of this moment I managed to build some semblance of a cross compiler
(it builds simple "hello world" executable) by creating a verbatim copy
of gcc-cross_4.4.4.bb, all files it depends upon to my local recipes
directory and making slight modification to gcc-configure-common.inc
(see modifications.patch) but this rises a couple of questions:

 - Would anyone be interested in adding such changes? If so, am I going
   in right direction or is there another more elegant and preferred way
   to add compiler support?

 - Ada compiler bootstrapping process requires host system to have
   working Ada compiler implementation, how can this, and should it all
   be reflected in the recipe?

 - Provided I am successful in my endeavor, writing BitBake recipe for
   Ada program would require gnatmake, gnatbind, gnatlink tools to be
   accessible through some variables(the same way C compiler is
   available via CC) how can this be implemented?

Thanks in advance for answering!

Andrey Smirnov