[oe] Ada(GNAT) support in OE

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:38:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Andrey Smirnov <andrew.smirnov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> Bitbake-1.10.2 and OE from git here and I am trying to add some
> rudimentary support of Ada language(GNAT) to OE(for now it is just
> building a cross compiler)

OK

> As of this moment I managed to build some semblance of a cross compiler
> (it builds simple "hello world" executable) by creating a verbatim copy
> of gcc-cross_4.4.4.bb, all files it depends upon to my local recipes
> directory and making slight modification to gcc-configure-common.inc
> (see modifications.patch) but this rises a couple of questions:
>
>  - Would anyone be interested in adding such changes? If so, am I going
>   in right direction or is there another more elegant and preferred way
>   to add compiler support?

it would be interesting however I think this should be a default
optout feature with possibility to optin
so probably what you have is an ok approach. Somehow we should have a
global knob controlled
by distros to specify what language environments to enable

>  - Ada compiler bootstrapping process requires host system to have
>   working Ada compiler implementation, how can this, and should it all
>   be reflected in the recipe?

yeah those are complications either you can demand those from build distro
by adding them to required_software in sanity class or you can provide a -native
recipe and then DEPEND on that one first one would be easier

>  - Provided I am successful in my endeavor, writing BitBake recipe for
>   Ada program would require gnatmake, gnatbind, gnatlink tools to be
>   accessible through some variables(the same way C compiler is
>   available via CC) how can this be implemented?

they would be in bitbake.conf or base class.