[oe] Dealing with ttyS -> ttyO rename on OMAP3 in 2.6.37

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:01:15 UTC 2011

As you may know, the kernel's OMAP serial driver has been fixed in
2.6.37 to move away from the ttyS naming towards the OMAP-specific ttyO
prefix. This was done in light of the fact that ttyS is apparently
reserved for traditional PC-style serial controllers.

I've spent the last day or two trying to bring my setup up to a 2.6.37
kernel. So far this has been quite painless, although I did get hung up
on one simple issue resulting from this name change for several
hours. Namely, the inittab still uses the ttyS naming, resulting in no
visible login prompt to be started. This is in addition to changing the
kernel's console= command line argument in the u-boot
configuration. This sort of naming mismatch could be tricky to handle,
since openembedded users will no doubt soon be using both pre- and
post-2.6.37 kernels. Any clever ideas for how this could be dealt with
in an non-obtrusive way?

Cheers,

- Ben