[oe] Dealing with ttyS -> ttyO rename on OMAP3 in 2.6.37

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:33:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you may know, the kernel's OMAP serial driver has been fixed in
> 2.6.37 to move away from the ttyS naming towards the OMAP-specific ttyO
> prefix. This was done in light of the fact that ttyS is apparently
> reserved for traditional PC-style serial controllers.
>
> I've spent the last day or two trying to bring my setup up to a 2.6.37
> kernel. So far this has been quite painless, although I did get hung up
> on one simple issue resulting from this name change for several
> hours. Namely, the inittab still uses the ttyS naming, resulting in no
> visible login prompt to be started. This is in addition to changing the
> kernel's console= command line argument in the u-boot
> configuration. This sort of naming mismatch could be tricky to handle,
> since openembedded users will no doubt soon be using both pre- and
> post-2.6.37 kernels. Any clever ideas for how this could be dealt with
> in an non-obtrusive way?

hmmm SERIAL_CONSOLE is the place where it should be set and then
shadow uses that to generate securetty etc. right now SERIAL_CONSOLE
is a machine property set in machine.conf files. So may be we can let it
emit both for omaps ? may be that will work otherwise we have to override it
in recipes which can be ugly.