[oe] problems compiling glibc_2.9-r37.4 under Angstrom

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 00:29:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> I think these remarks come from discussion over the pandaboard u-boot
> situation? If so, let's consider these options:
>
> 1) Remove the pandaboard machine from OE since it does not build for some
> people.

well its a step backwards

> 2) Force Koen to update the recipe to something that builds.

he is master of his own time so its not right to force anybody its all
volunteer work and we should leverage each others work.

> 3) Do nothing.

Doesnt take us anywhere.

> No one is happy with the set of options, but the reality is some distros use
> source mirrors and do not have issues. Distros that do not use source
> mirrors are going to have problems with this and other recipes, so the onus
> is on them to resolve these issues. Resolving this is issue does not revolve
> around updating the recipe and pushing it un tested for the Panda, since
> this is not something that can be tested on another set of hardware.
>
> So until someone who has a panda and the time and patience to work with
> u-boot, minimal will not work for panda. This is because the minimal distro
> is supposed to not use advanced OE features such as source mirrors and
> PREFERRED_VERSION pinning. Because of these decisions, it is entirely
> possible that minimal will not build for all combination by design.

I would propose that we use angstrom-mirrors in minimal distro as a
backup to fetch
sources from.
something like this in minimal.conf would do it

SOURCE_MIRROR_URL +=
"http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/"
INHERIT += "own-mirrors"

if we do not want to inherit angstrom-mirrors class directly.