[oe] Debugging u-boot

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:51:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Bernard Mentink
<Bernard_Mentink at trimble.com> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Didn't know you were lurking on this list ... ;-)

You can run but you can't hide.

> I have built for the angstom distro (arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-*), but the tools got put in my project path I described in my earlier email, but
> There was no GDB included for some reason ..

The regular toolchian than oe builds for its own purposes does not use
gdb because gdb is not needed for building. That toolchain is intended
for use within OE bitbakery only.

A meta-toolchain is built as a standalone toolchain intended for use
outside of OE (eg. if you pull u-boot to a standalone directory for
development purposes or want to do your own app development outside of
OE.)

> How do you build the meta-toolchain, and how will that help.

bitbake meta-toolchain.

This makes a toolchain which you can unpack thus:

$ cd /
$ sudo tar xvjf
${OETOP}/tmp/deploy/glibc/sdk/angstrom-2009.X-test-20110301-armv7a-linux-gnueabi-toolchain.tar.bz2

[NB your toolchain name will be something different]

To set up all the paths etc use

. /usr/local/angstrom/arm/environment-setup

Google openembedded metatoolchain will also give some interesting info.

NB If you're building apps and need extra libraries you will need to
make your own SDK. That's a bit more effort and you don't need all
that just for gdbing u-boot

-- Charles