[oe] Using ${DATE} in PR

Chris Verges kg4ysn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:21:33 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm attempting to use the ${DATE} variable from
openembedded/conf/bitbake.conf in the PR value of a local overlay
recipe.  The idea is to create a recipe that will automatically
rebuild each day.  (The recipe itself is creates a small text file in
/etc that tracks the build date.)  BitBake is at 1.12.0, and OE is on
2011.03-maintenance.

Unfortunately, the following didn't work as I expected:

PR = "r5.${DATE}.0"

(I use the "r5" prefix field to increment in case I make any major
changes to the PR format, and the "0" suffix field to increment any
minor changes to the recipe itself.)

The expected behavior is that the recipe will automatically rebuild
each day.  The actual behavior is that the recipe does not rebuild.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Chris