[oe] using i2c on a mx28evk

Andreas Mueller schnitzeltony at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 17:09:26 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 06:46:45 PM Andreas Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 02:30:15 PM Christian Borutta wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm running an Angström Linux on a Freescale mx28evk board. For using the
> > i2c ports of the board I compiled and installed the packages i2c and
> > i2c-dev, but the Kernelmoduls are missing.
> >
> > While booting the system sends the message:
> >
> > " FATAL: Module i2c-pxa not found.
> >
> >    FATAL: Module i2c-pxa not found."
> >
> > I'm neither able to load the modules with modprobe nor do I find the
> > modules ( I think one of them is  i2c-dev.ko) anywhere in the filesystem.
> >
> > Can anybody help me solving this issue?
> >
> > Christian Borutta
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I checked the recipe i2c: In the file I2c.init this recipe wants to
> modprobe i2c- pxa. Without having further background on this recipe it
> seems that it is not meant for any board but pxa based ( can anybody
> confirm ? )
> Additional this packet wants to modprobe i2c-dev. This is not the oe-devel-
> packet but a wrapper kernel-module for creating a device node in /dev. I
> will later modify the kernel configuration so that i2c-dev is created and
> see which modules are created...
In file i2c-api.c you can find

*   @file   i2c-api.c
*
*   @brief  This file contains the implementation for performing I2C operations
*           on the gumstix.

that does not look generic...

Anyway: I will create a patch so that the package kernel-module-i2c-dev is
created.

A bit off-topic: Would you like to test the oe-core version with the meta layer
found in https://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-freescale ?

Andreas

Andreas