[oe] Kernel load address issue

Chris Verges kg4ysn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:12:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 06:00:07AM +0000, Mats Kärrman wrote:
> Starting kernel ...
>
> And there it hangs ... I don't know who printed out the "Starting
> kernel" was it uboot or the kernel?  If uboot, how do I pass kernel
> arguments (i.e the console serial params) with this method of booting?

Hi Bernie,

I've experienced this before when the UBOOT_LOADADDRESS and
UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT values in the machine config file for OpenEmbedded
aren't properly set to the correct value.  You may want to double check
those values.

Also, try setting your bootm address just a tag higher in memory than
the actual UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT.  I forgot what the exact uboot-mkimage
header put on the uImage is, but you can do a hex diff between the
zImage and uImage files to figure it out.  That offset can sometimes
cause some odd booting problems.

So if your ENTRYPOINT is 0x8300000 and the uboot-mkimage offset is
0xC0, for example, you'd need to bootm 0x83000C0.  (Again, double check
the uboot-mkimage offset.)

Good luck,
Chris