[oe] OE Bugzilla Future

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:08:30 UTC 2011

2011/3/20 Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>:
> On 3/19/2011 1:28 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
[...]
>> Well, I do feel it is one of them, and that is the maintainer of the
>> package (who might be the original author).
>>
>> To me being the maintainer of a recipe says that one cares about a
>> recipe and tries to maintain it (as the word says :-) )
>> Maintainership comes with responsibilities. If people do not want to
>> take these responsibilities then they should not list themselves as
>> maintainer.
>> I have seen too many incidents where someone does not care about a
>> package or bugs submitted to it, but if someone else steps in and
>> fixes things, then suddenly the original author or maintainer feels
>> they are stepped onto their toes, and react hostile.
>
> Its always good to get reviews from people who have prior experience even if
> it comes in ways you don't like since in the end it makes the software
> better. A little attitude adjustment is however needed sometimes :)

May I nominate that last sentence for understatement of the year?

>> Btw this is the main reason I stopped trying to fix bugs that do not
>> affect me (apart from the recipes I maintain).
>
> Thats pretty selfish view of world I must say in a community of volunteers
> :)

Sorry but the smiley escapes me.

If you feel it is selfish, that is your opinion.

I prefer to call it self-protection.
I have no interest any more to get rude comments. It brought too much
frustration and irritation.
And as my work apparently not appreciated, I decided to cut back on my
effort, also because I dio not have a home project any more that uses
OE.

Bash a volunteer often enough and at some point he'll not be
volunteering any more.
What OE really needs is a more positive atmosphere towards each other.

Frans.

PS: another reason to wind down my effort is the yocto migration I see
going on.
I have no interest to become an unpaid resource for Intel and the
other LF member companies.