[oe] OE Bugzilla Future

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 01:24:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/20 Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>:
>> On 3/19/2011 1:28 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, I do feel it is one of them, and that is the maintainer of the
>>> package (who might be the original author).
>>>
>>> To me being the maintainer of a recipe says that one cares about a
>>> recipe and tries to maintain it (as the word says :-) )
>>> Maintainership comes with responsibilities. If people do not want to
>>> take these responsibilities then they should not list themselves as
>>> maintainer.
>>> I have seen too many incidents where someone does not care about a
>>> package or bugs submitted to it, but if someone else steps in and
>>> fixes things, then suddenly the original author or maintainer feels
>>> they are stepped onto their toes, and react hostile.
>>
>> Its always good to get reviews from people who have prior experience even if
>> it comes in ways you don't like since in the end it makes the software
>> better. A little attitude adjustment is however needed sometimes :).

It was from personal experiences, I do that myself time to time and
move on. I thought I would share

> May I nominate that last sentence for understatement of the year?

>>> Btw this is the main reason I stopped trying to fix bugs that do not
>>> affect me (apart from the recipes I maintain).
>>
>> Thats pretty selfish view of world I must say in a community of volunteers
>> :)
>
> Sorry but the smiley escapes me.
>
> If you feel it is selfish, that is your opinion.
>
> I prefer to call it self-protection.
> I have no interest any more to get rude comments. It brought too much
> frustration and irritation.
> And as my work apparently not appreciated, I decided to cut back on my
> effort, also because I dio not have a home project any more that uses
> OE.
>
> Bash a volunteer often enough and at some point he'll not be
> volunteering any more.

> What OE really needs is a more positive atmosphere towards each other.

It is very positive if you ask me everyone I interact with is always
encouraging and helpful to contribute in best of spirits

> Frans.
>
> PS: another reason to wind down my effort is the yocto migration I see
> going on.
> I have no interest to become an unpaid resource for Intel and the
> other LF member companies.

Yes its your time and only you should decide where you want to spend it best.

I would not respond further to this matter. This thread is on
bugzilla's future and its future so I will leave it to refocus on
topic.