[oe] buildindex is always 0, using BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV = "1"

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:05:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 02:37:40PM +0300, Radoslav Kolev wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 01:18:08PM +0300, Radoslav Kolev wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to make a recipe which gets the newest revision from a git
> >> repository.
> >>
> >> Also to get upgradable packages on different build machines I have the
> >>
> >> BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV = "1"
> >
> > You need to set empty
> > BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE = ""
> > with it.
>
> Thanks Martin! I unset the variable in local.conf and it's working as
> expected now. I am sure I tested doing this before too, but with no
> effect. I must have made a change after the last time I tried
> unsetting BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE which made it work now, but I can't
> track this down.
>
> I'd say I find the description in the bitbake.conf comment a little confusing:
>
> # For now disable autoincrement of revision counter in SRCPV, whoever
> wants it, should enable it in local.conf or distro config
> # Revision counter is incremented only locally (bad for multiple
> builders filling shared feeds), LOCALCOUNT can be used to maintain
> # counter globally in OE metadata (LOCALCOUNT value set in recipe).
> # Make sure you disable it, if you want always upgradable paths for
> git recipes without bumping LOCALCOUNT with every SRCREV change
> # or if you're using AUTOREV feature.
> BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE = "1"
>
> My interpretation of this was obviously incorrect. From the first
> sentence "For now disable autoincrement ..." it implies that the
> current default value of "1" means that it (autoincrement) is
> disabled, so no change is needed. And from last sentence "Make sure

I think this part is right. Autoincrement is really disabled (you have
constant 0 as LOCALCOUNT before rev.

> you disable it," I understood 'it' as referring to the "autoincrement
> of revision counter in SRCPV", but it seems it's referring to the
> LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE. I think the last sentence will be more clear if
> changed to "Make sure you disable this override, if ..."

I agree on this one.

> Also, I thought the BB_LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE var was only concerned when
> keeping an incrementing counter in the local cache, and not when using
> BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV = "1".

Be aware that BB_GIT_CLONE_FOR_SRCREV also implies full git clone also
for recipes not in your dependency tree (because it will parse PV
variable with SRCPV even for recipe completely unrelated to your target
- unless you blacklist such recipe ie with angstrom blacklister).

> So to sum up my understanding now and see if it's correct:
>
> LOCALCOUNT_OVERRIDE actually does two things if unset - enable
> autoincrementing of revision counter (doesn't matter if it's coming
> from local counter stored in cache or the SCM system like git, svn,
> etc) and disable overriding the LOCALCOUNT value form withing reciper.

I'm not native english speaker, so I agree that comment could be
improved. Please send it as patch and hopefully others will comment on
it.