[oe] OpenEmbedded Core - Ready for extended users

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:12:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 21:49, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 11:25 +0200, Petr Štetiar wrote:
>> Anders Darander <anders.darander at gmail.com> [2011-05-17 09:04:35]:
>> > Though, that was only one example of a package that has either runtime
>> > or only build-time dependencies on X in some form or another. Earlier,
>> > in the 2011.03-releases, we had systemd depending on gtk+, which has
>> > been removed in the lates updates. Thats just another example.
>>
>> Don't worry, you're not alone in that feeling, actually I think, that we're
>> quite a large group fighting with this :-) One day the image has 1700 tasks,
>> after one rebase within a week timespan it grows almost to 3000, don't mention
>> bluetooth and similar stuff etc. Well, I'm also looking forward to see, how it
>> will change with oe-core.
>
> These are issues we need to address I think everyone agrees on that.
> What we do need is some overall architectural way to handle it though
> rather and doing it adhoc on a case by case basis. There has been some
> discussion on the OE-Core list about it but I don't think we've reached
> any conclusion.

I had some trouble locating these discussions on the oe-core list. Do
you have hint/link towards those discussions? I'd be interested to
read them and see what ideas has been discussed.

> Out of interesting are there any new proposals on how to handle this?
> I'm interested in proposals that are thought through to details like how
> distros handle differences and being able to identify which
> configurations are used when presented with packages...

Has there been any proposals earlier?

Sorry, no real ideas at the moment. The main alterniatives, I guess,
are to conditionally add depends and configure options based on
either:
* More variables. Although this could lead to _a lot more_ variables
in the end. (I.e. see the recent discussion on the oe-core list on
task-base etc.)
*  On if certain other recipes are selected. I'm not sure that this is
even possible? (I haven't looked that much into bitbake and recipe
parsing) This is solution is obviously a lot easier when using e.g.
Kconfig-based configurations, like Buildroot.

I'm not sure of which option is the best, or if there is another
better option...

Regards,
Anders